Saturday, April 24, 2010

COSTA RICA!!!!!

Ok, so this post is LONG overdue!!!! I wanted to put all the pictures in order and add more to the blog, but I decided that I should go ahead and post or else it may never happen. (I have officially completed all of my classes and we are gearing up for our move to Tucson so I may be a bit preoccupied). We had an absolutely fabulous time in Costa Rica with Bob and Mary! It just seems like a dream. I hope these pictures do at least a little bit of justice to the trip. We have some more nature pics that we plan to touch up on photo shop before we post (which hopefully will be sooner than a year from now). At the bottom are more details of the trip- Bob typed this part up as a review of the resort we stayed at (which was incredible!).


A couple weeks before the trip, I decided that I really wanted to see a sloth in Costa Rica. Much to my delight, our driver pulled over on the way to the resort to show us this guy up in the tree! He didn't much like all of the attention he was getting, and slowly made his way away from the road.


In San Jose, we stopped by the Mercado where Bob snagged a fabulous "Jansport" bag to replace the $4 bag he purchased for the trip after it completely fell apart.

Kayaking in the Mangroves.


One evening, there was quite a racket coming from a pond. After dinner we made our way with flashlights to check out the frogs; it was really hard to hear each other talking because the frogs were so loud! All of the sudden they ALL became quiet! As we wandered away from the pond, I guess they decided they liked their privacy, because they all started up again at the exact same time. It was pretty hilarious. We also found these little guys hanging out. This banana frog was only a little bit bigger than a quarter!
The scarlet mccaws frequently flew around the resort and would sometimes stop in some of the trees. It was pretty amazing. These birds stay with one mate for life, so they were always seen in pairs. This shot was taken right off of Bob and Mary's back porch!
Mary and I went on a horse-back ride on the beach!

Our guide stopped and cut up a coconut for us!

The waves were pretty amazing!!!








Our transportation to the airport.
The walkway down to our cabin.
The cool tree
The restaurant.
Our cabina

Our cabina

The restaurant.



Our hats were sometimes problematic.





We spotted a fer de lance snake! This is the most poisonous snake in the area. There is a pretty low mortality rate due to bites from these guys but almost a 100% chance that the bitten limb will have to be amputated! Luckily, no one got hurt- this guy didn't even try to bite anyone and was safely removed from the area by the biologist that lives at the resort.
his is the crowd of people who came to see the snake after Mary spotted it.

This is the crowd of people who came to see the snake after Mary spotted it.



That's a frog!!!
A typical breakfast with Bob and Mary :) There were cool birds flying around everywhere!

They blew this conch shell when it was dinner time. I gave it a try but I think I failed pretty miserably.




The shower. Ken and I decided we are going to have something like this in a house someday :)
Our cabina
Boarding the little plane that took us from San Jose to a small town near our resort.
I LOVE this tree!
Ken and I got up early one morning to take some awesome sunrise pictures.

Here I am climbing a stranglefig tree. These trees are crazy awesome! The germenate up high in the branches of a large tree, send lots of vines that root in the ground and then harden into wood. They send so many of these vines down that the host tree eventually dies and rots out. These make for so awesome climbing!
Mary climbing the stranglefig tree.
I saw this rock and couldn't help but think of The Little Mermaid. I did this Ariel pose just for my nieces, Vail and Katy who LOVE The Little Mermaid. Hopefully they will think aunt Kiki is pretty cool when they see this pic!
I really wanted to take a picture in this cool looking tree. The only problem was there were monkeys living in the tree and they started getting mad when they noticed I was getting in their space. I quickly jumped out of the tree for fear that something would be thrown at me.



Doing our Zen poses. I guess Mary is in a state of Zen no matter how she is standing :)
And here's a video of me jumping out of the stranglefig tree.

We stayed at Bosque from April 9-16, 2010. After taking the red-eye from Denver, Co to SJO we were met by our transfer, provided by Nature Air. Nature Air just doesn't do flights they also have transfer between airports and hotels etc. We got through customs and baggage rather quickly and our driver was waiting for us. Since we had a few hours I asked Nature Air in advance to supply us with a driver who spoke English and who would be welcome to take us someplace for breakfast---which he did. After breakfast in SJO we went to Tobias airport which is about 20 minutes from SJO. Our flight left at 8:45 and after 45 minutes we touched down in Puerto Jimenez. A driver from Bosque was waiting for us. After a 35 minute ride we arrived at Bosque and were greeted with a welcome cold fruit drink. After a short talk about the lodge we enjoyed the grounds while our rooms were being prepared.
For lunch I had the fish tacos. I've been looking at the picture of those tacos for a year and they did not disappoint. After lunch our cabanas were ready. My wife and I had one and our son and his wife had another one next to ours. The cabanas were clean and comfortable. No air conditioning--I did not find that a problem as the nights were comfortable and there was a very quiet fan in our cabana. The outside showers were awesome.
There were about 7 choices for breakfast and lunch. All of them were good. For dinner, every night a buffet was served with the exception of one evening. Dinner consisted of a fresh salad, black beans and rice, grilled vegetables, a special veggie, two entrees and dessert. Dinner was also very good. Before dinner, in the bar usually chips and salsa, pizza or some other snack was given during happy hours. Drinks were good and fairly priced.
There were many hiking trails to wander around on. Monkeys all over the place. Toucans and Parakeets seen every day. We saw about 15 types of birds that we did not see when we visited C.R. 18 months prior. My son and I went deep-sea fishing out of Puerto Jimenez. one morning while my wife and daughter in law went horse back riding. One afternoon we all went kayaking with a guide in the Mangroves. Another day we all walked to the beach--the long way to swim. It was about a 2.5 mile walk. The temperature of the water was something we never experienced. It must have been 85 degrees. We had a prearranged pick-up so we wouldn't have to walk back.
One day when the worker from Bosque, who did the strangler tree climb was not available, we went off site for that. My wife and daughter in law did the tree. My son and I watched. He was sun burned and I was chicken:-)
The walk down to the Pacific is about 562 steps. It's also 562 steps back:-) It took 25 minutes to get down and this old man made it back in 18 minutes. It was gorgeous.
Just my wife and I-----nice tide pools---little fish in the tide pools and no one else around!!
I would be hard to do so much while staying only a couple of days. After seven days we left and again all of Nature Air's flights were on time. We were met at Tobias by a Nature Air van which took us to Grano Oro Hotel and again was at the hotel at 4 am. for our transfer back to SJO.
It seemed so long ago.

No comments: